Where to File Divorce Papers in Harris County

Where to File Divorce Papers in Harris County

Going through a divorce can be a challenging and emotional time. One of the initial steps in the divorce process is filing the necessary paperwork with the court. If you are a resident of Harris County, Texas, this article will guide you on where to file divorce papers and provide answers to frequently asked questions about the process.

Filing for divorce in Harris County requires following specific procedures and locating the appropriate courthouse. The steps outlined below will help you understand the process and ensure that you file your divorce papers correctly.

1. Determine your eligibility: Before filing for divorce, make sure you meet the residency requirements of Harris County. Either you or your spouse must have lived in the county for at least 90 days prior to filing.

2. Gather necessary documents: Collect all the required documents, such as marriage license, identification proof, and any other relevant paperwork pertaining to property, children, or financial matters.

3. Complete the divorce petition: The divorce petition is the document that officially begins the divorce process. It outlines the reasons for the divorce and the relief you are seeking from the court, such as child custody, property division, and alimony. You can find the divorce petition form online or obtain it from the Harris County District Clerk’s Office.

4. File the divorce petition: Once you have completed the divorce petition, make several copies and take them to the Harris County District Clerk’s Office. The courthouse where you need to file depends on the specific circumstances of your case.

See also  Which State Capital Is Called the “Crossroads of the West”?

– If you have minor children, file your divorce papers at the Family Law Center located at 1115 Congress Avenue, Houston, Texas, 77002.

– If you do not have minor children, file your divorce papers at the Civil Courthouse located at 201 Caroline Street, Houston, Texas, 77002.

5. Pay the filing fee: There is a fee associated with filing for divorce in Harris County. The current fee can be found on the Harris County District Clerk’s Office website. If you are unable to afford the fee, you may be eligible for a fee waiver. Contact the District Clerk’s Office for more information.


Q: Can I file for divorce online?

A: Currently, Harris County does not offer online filing for divorce. You must file your divorce papers in person at the appropriate courthouse.

Q: How long does the divorce process take in Harris County?

A: The length of the divorce process varies depending on the complexity of the case and the willingness of both parties to reach a resolution. On average, it can take anywhere from a few months to over a year to finalize a divorce in Harris County.

Q: Do I need an attorney to file for divorce in Harris County?

A: While it is not required to have an attorney, it is highly recommended, especially if your divorce involves complex issues such as child custody, property division, or spousal support. A family law attorney will guide you through the process and ensure your rights are protected.

Q: What happens after I file my divorce papers?

A: After filing your divorce papers, you must serve them to your spouse. This can be done through a process server or by certified mail. Your spouse will then have a certain amount of time to respond to the petition. If they fail to respond, a default judgment may be entered in your favor.

See also  What States Have Alligators or Crocodiles

Q: Can I change my mind after filing for divorce?

A: Yes, you can stop the divorce process at any time by filing a request for dismissal. However, it is important to consider the implications of this decision and seek legal advice if necessary.

Filing for divorce in Harris County can be a complex process, but understanding where to file and following the necessary steps will help you navigate through it smoothly. Remember to consult with an attorney for personalized advice and guidance throughout the divorce proceedings.