What States Have Filial Responsibility Laws

What States Have Filial Responsibility Laws?

Filial responsibility laws, also known as filial support laws or filial piety laws, are statutes that impose a duty on adult children to financially support their indigent parents. These laws have their roots in the concept of filial piety, which is deeply ingrained in many cultures and emphasizes the obligation of children to care for their aging parents. While filial responsibility laws have ancient origins, they have been largely dormant in the United States until recent years.

Filial responsibility laws in the United States are based on the principle that family members should support one another when they are unable to take care of themselves. The laws vary from state to state, with some states having more stringent requirements than others. As of 2021, approximately 30 states have some form of filial responsibility laws on their books, although the enforcement and application of these laws differ.

The following is a list of states that have filial responsibility laws:

1. Alaska
2. Arkansas
3. California
4. Connecticut
5. Delaware
6. Georgia
7. Idaho
8. Indiana
9. Iowa
10. Kentucky
11. Louisiana
12. Maryland
13. Massachusetts
14. Mississippi
15. Montana
16. Nevada
17. New Hampshire
18. New Jersey
19. North Carolina
20. North Dakota
21. Ohio
22. Oregon
23. Pennsylvania
24. Rhode Island
25. South Dakota
26. Tennessee
27. Utah
28. Vermont
29. Virginia
30. West Virginia

It is important to note that the specific details and requirements of filial responsibility laws can vary significantly among these states. Some states, such as Pennsylvania, have robust enforcement mechanisms, while others have rarely enforced these laws. Additionally, the interpretation and application of these laws can differ depending on the circumstances of each case.

See also  How to Become a Paralegal in Washington State


Q: What does filial responsibility mean?
A: Filial responsibility refers to the legal and moral obligation of adult children to provide financial support for their indigent parents.

Q: Are filial responsibility laws commonly enforced?
A: While filial responsibility laws exist in many states, enforcement is not common. Courts typically consider various factors, such as the financial ability of the child and the extent of the parent’s need, before enforcing these laws.

Q: Can parents sue their children for support?
A: In states with filial responsibility laws, parents have the legal right to sue their children for support when they are unable to provide for themselves. However, the likelihood of successful lawsuits varies widely among states.

Q: Do filial responsibility laws apply to all children equally?
A: Filial responsibility laws generally apply to all adult children equally, regardless of their financial circumstances. However, courts may consider factors such as the child’s ability to pay and the parent’s financial need when determining the extent of the obligation.

Q: Can filial responsibility laws be avoided?
A: In some cases, adult children may be able to avoid the obligations imposed by filial responsibility laws by demonstrating that they have made reasonable efforts to provide for their parents or by showing that the parent abandoned or mistreated them.

Q: Are there any proposed changes to filial responsibility laws?
A: There have been discussions and proposals to modify or repeal filial responsibility laws in various states. However, the laws remain in effect in the majority of states that have enacted them.

See also  What Is the Largest County in North Carolina

In conclusion, filial responsibility laws exist in approximately 30 states in the United States. These laws impose a duty on adult children to financially support their indigent parents. However, the enforcement and application of these laws vary among states, and courts consider various factors before imposing such obligations. It is essential for individuals to understand the specific requirements of their state’s filial responsibility laws and seek legal advice if necessary.