What States Are EZ Pass Accepted?
EZ Pass is an electronic toll collection system used on most tolled roads, bridges, and tunnels in the northeastern United States. It is widely accepted in 17 states, making it convenient for travelers to pass through toll booths without the hassle of stopping to pay in cash. In this article, we will explore which states accept EZ Pass and provide answers to some frequently asked questions about this popular toll payment system.
States Where EZ Pass is Accepted:
1. Delaware: EZ Pass is accepted on all Delaware toll roads, including the Delaware Memorial Bridge and State Route 1.
2. Illinois: EZ Pass is accepted on the Illinois Tollway system, which includes the Chicago Skyway and various toll roads in the state.
3. Indiana: EZ Pass is accepted on the Indiana Toll Road, a major east-west toll highway spanning the state.
4. Kentucky: EZ Pass is accepted on the Cline Avenue Bridge in southern Indiana, which connects to Kentucky.
5. Maine: EZ Pass is accepted on the Maine Turnpike, a toll highway running from Kittery to Augusta.
6. Maryland: EZ Pass is accepted on all Maryland toll facilities, including bridges, tunnels, and highways.
7. Massachusetts: EZ Pass is accepted on several toll roads in Massachusetts, including the Massachusetts Turnpike and the Tobin Bridge.
8. New Hampshire: EZ Pass is accepted on the New Hampshire Turnpike system, which includes various toll roads in the state.
9. New Jersey: EZ Pass is accepted on all New Jersey toll roads, including the Garden State Parkway and the New Jersey Turnpike.
10. New York: EZ Pass is accepted on all New York toll facilities, including the major bridges and tunnels in the New York City area.
11. North Carolina: EZ Pass is accepted on the Triangle Expressway, a toll road in the Raleigh-Durham area.
12. Ohio: EZ Pass is accepted on the Ohio Turnpike, a major east-west toll highway across the state.
13. Pennsylvania: EZ Pass is accepted on all Pennsylvania Turnpike sections and various toll bridges and tunnels.
14. Rhode Island: EZ Pass is accepted on the Newport Pell Bridge and the Mount Hope Bridge in Rhode Island.
15. Virginia: EZ Pass is accepted on most toll roads, tunnels, and bridges in Virginia, including the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel.
16. West Virginia: EZ Pass is accepted on the West Virginia Turnpike, a major north-south toll highway in the state.
17. North Carolina: EZ Pass is accepted on the Triangle Expressway, a toll road in the Raleigh-Durham area.
FAQs about EZ Pass:
Q1. How does EZ Pass work?
A1. EZ Pass uses a small electronic device that is mounted on the windshield of your vehicle. As you approach a toll booth, the system detects the device and deducts the toll amount from your prepaid account.
Q2. Can I use EZ Pass in multiple states?
A2. Yes, EZ Pass is interoperable, meaning it can be used across all participating states. This makes it convenient for travelers who frequently cross state lines.
Q3. How do I get an EZ Pass?
A3. To get an EZ Pass, you need to apply online or visit a customer service center in the state where you reside or plan to use the system. You will need to provide vehicle and account information and pay a small fee for the transponder.
Q4. Can I use EZ Pass in rental cars?
A4. Yes, you can use EZ Pass in rental cars. Many rental car agencies offer EZ Pass transponders as an option, or you can use your own device if it is compatible with the rental car’s windshield.
Q5. Can I transfer my EZ Pass between vehicles?
A5. Yes, you can transfer your EZ Pass between vehicles as long as they are registered under the same account. You will need to update the vehicle information online or contact customer service to make the necessary changes.
In conclusion, EZ Pass is widely accepted in 17 states, making it a convenient toll payment system for travelers in the northeastern United States. It allows for seamless passage through toll booths without the need for cash transactions. Whether you’re traveling through Delaware, New York, or even crossing state lines, having an EZ Pass can save you time and make your journey more efficient.