What County Is Kirkwood, MO In?
Located in the state of Missouri, Kirkwood is a vibrant city with a rich history and a strong sense of community. But what county is Kirkwood in? Kirkwood is situated in St. Louis County, one of the most populous counties in the state. Let’s delve deeper into the history of Kirkwood and explore some frequently asked questions about this charming city.
Kirkwood, Missouri: A Brief Overview
Kirkwood was established in 1853 and named after James P. Kirkwood, the chief engineer of the Pacific Railroad. The city quickly flourished as a result of its strategic location along the railroad line, which provided easy access to St. Louis, the largest city in Missouri. Over the years, Kirkwood has grown into a thriving suburban community, known for its beautiful homes, excellent schools, and bustling downtown area.
St. Louis County: Home to Kirkwood
St. Louis County, where Kirkwood is located, is the most populous county in Missouri, with a population of over one million residents. The county was founded in 1812 and is named after Saint Louis, the patron saint of France. As of 2021, St. Louis County encompasses more than 500 square miles and is divided into 90 municipalities, including Kirkwood.
Frequently Asked Questions about Kirkwood, MO
1. What is the population of Kirkwood, Missouri?
As of 2021, Kirkwood has a population of approximately 27,000 residents. The city has experienced steady growth over the years while maintaining its small-town charm and sense of community.
2. What are some attractions in Kirkwood?
Kirkwood offers a variety of attractions for residents and visitors alike. Some popular destinations include:
– Kirkwood Farmers’ Market: Established in 1976, this vibrant market offers a wide selection of fresh produce, local products, and artisanal goods.
– Kirkwood Park: Spanning 92 acres, Kirkwood Park provides ample space for outdoor activities, including walking trails, tennis courts, and a playground.
– Magic House, St. Louis Children’s Museum: Located in Kirkwood, the Magic House is a beloved children’s museum that offers interactive exhibits and educational programs.
3. What are the schools like in Kirkwood?
Kirkwood is renowned for its exceptional school district, which consistently ranks among the top in the state. The Kirkwood School District includes several elementary, middle, and high schools, providing a quality education for students of all ages.
4. How far is Kirkwood from downtown St. Louis?
Kirkwood is approximately 15 miles southwest of downtown St. Louis. The city’s convenient location allows residents to easily access the amenities and attractions of the city while enjoying the peaceful suburban environment of Kirkwood.
5. What is the climate like in Kirkwood?
Kirkwood experiences a humid continental climate, characterized by hot summers and cold winters. Average temperatures range from the low 30s in winter to the high 80s in summer, with moderate rainfall throughout the year.
In conclusion, Kirkwood, Missouri, is located in St. Louis County, the most populous county in the state. With its rich history, strong community spirit, and convenient proximity to downtown St. Louis, Kirkwood offers a wonderful place to live, work, and visit. Whether you’re exploring the local attractions or enjoying the excellent schools, Kirkwood has something to offer everyone.