How to Notify CA DMV of Moving Out of State

Title: How to Notify CA DMV of Moving Out of State: A Comprehensive Guide


Moving out of state can be an exciting and challenging experience, but it also involves several administrative tasks to ensure a smooth transition. One crucial aspect is notifying the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) about your move. This article aims to provide a comprehensive guide on how to notify the CA DMV of moving out of state, along with answering some frequently asked questions.

Section 1: Notifying the CA DMV of Your Move

1. Research the DMV requirements: Start by visiting the official website of the California DMV and familiarize yourself with the specific requirements for notifying them of your move. Different states may have varying procedures, so it’s essential to understand the process specific to California.

2. Gather essential documents: Ensure you have the necessary documents handy, including your California driver’s license or identification card, vehicle registration, and any other relevant paperwork.

3. Choose your notification method: The California DMV provides several ways to notify them of your move. You can opt for online services, mail, phone, or in-person visits to a local DMV office. Choose the method that suits you best.

4. Online notification: To notify the CA DMV of your move online, visit their official website and navigate to the appropriate section. Fill out the required information accurately, including your new address and the date of your move. Double-check all details before submitting.

5. Mail notification: If you prefer to notify the DMV via mail, download the required form from their website, fill it out carefully, and mail it to the specified address. Ensure you provide all necessary information and include any supporting documents if required.

See also  How Much Will Citizens Bank Let Me Overdraft

6. Phone notification: Contact the CA DMV’s phone helpline to inform them about your move. Be prepared to provide all necessary details and answer any questions they may have.

7. In-person notification: If you prefer face-to-face communication, visit your local DMV office. Inform the staff about your move, provide the required information, and complete any necessary paperwork. Remember to carry all relevant documents.

Section 2: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q1. Is notifying the DMV of my move mandatory?

A1. Yes, it is mandatory to notify the DMV of your move within ten days of establishing residency in your new state. Failing to do so may lead to penalties or complications in the future.

Q2. What happens to my California driver’s license after notifying the DMV?

A2. Once you notify the DMV of your move, they will update their records accordingly. However, your California driver’s license will still remain valid until it expires. Once it does, you will need to apply for a driver’s license in your new state.

Q3. Will I receive a refund for my vehicle registration fees?

A3. Unfortunately, California DMV does not offer refunds for vehicle registration fees if you move out of state.

Q4. Can I keep my California license plates?

A4. No, you must surrender your California license plates when you move out of state. Check the requirements of your new state regarding license plate issuance.

Q5. Is there a fee for notifying the CA DMV of my move?

A5. As of the time of writing, there is no fee associated with notifying the CA DMV of your move.

See also  What Country Is Directly South of the United States


Notifying the California DMV about your move out of state is a vital step to ensure a smooth transition and avoid potential legal or administrative complications. By understanding and following the steps outlined in this article, you can fulfill this requirement efficiently. Remember, it is essential to notify the DMV within the specified timeframe to avoid any penalties.