How to Get a New York Drivers License From Out-Of-State

How to Get a New York Driver’s License From Out-of-State

If you have recently moved to New York from another state and need to obtain a driver’s license, it’s essential to understand the process and requirements. Getting a New York driver’s license from out-of-state involves several steps, including transferring your out-of-state license and completing the necessary paperwork. This article will guide you through the process, providing valuable information and answering frequently asked questions.

Step 1: Gather the Required Documents

Before visiting the New York Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to apply for a driver’s license, make sure you have the necessary documents. These typically include:

1. Proof of identity: You will need to present an unexpired, original document proving your identity, such as a birth certificate, valid passport, or permanent resident card.

2. Proof of residency: You must provide at least two documents showing your New York address, such as utility bills, bank statements, or a lease agreement.

3. Social Security Number (SSN): A valid SSN or a letter of ineligibility from the Social Security Administration is required.

4. Out-of-state driver’s license: Bring your current out-of-state driver’s license, which will be surrendered during the application process.

Step 2: Make an Appointment

To save time and avoid long wait times at the DMV, it is recommended to make an appointment before visiting the office. You can schedule an appointment online through the DMV website or by calling their toll-free number.

Step 3: Visit the DMV

At your scheduled appointment, visit the nearest DMV office. Be sure to bring all the required documents mentioned in step 1, as well as a completed application form for a driver’s license. The application form can be downloaded from the DMV website or obtained at the office.

See also  What States Are Rottweilers Banned In

Step 4: Complete the Paperwork

During your visit, you will need to complete paperwork, including a driver’s license application form and a vision test. Additionally, you may be required to provide your signature and have your photograph taken for the new license.

Step 5: Pay the Fees

Once you have completed the necessary paperwork, you will be required to pay the applicable fees. The fees vary depending on the type of license and the duration for which it is issued. Accepted payment methods include cash, check, money order, or credit/debit card.

Step 6: Take the Written Test

If you are transferring your out-of-state driver’s license and it is still valid or expired less than one year ago, you may be exempt from taking the written test. However, if your out-of-state license has been expired for more than one year, you will need to take the written test.

Step 7: Schedule and Pass the Road Test

After successfully completing the written test, you will need to schedule and pass a road test. The road test can be scheduled online or by calling the DMV. It is recommended to practice driving in New York before taking the road test to familiarize yourself with local traffic rules and regulations.


Q: How long do I have to transfer my out-of-state license after moving to New York?
A: It is recommended to transfer your out-of-state license within 30 days of establishing residency in New York.

Q: Can I drive in New York with my out-of-state license while waiting for my appointment?
A: Yes, you can drive with your out-of-state license until your appointment at the DMV. However, you must carry your out-of-state license with you at all times.

See also  What Color Jacket Do Fccla State and National Officers Wear

Q: Can I use my foreign driver’s license to obtain a New York driver’s license?
A: If you have a valid foreign driver’s license, you can use it to obtain a New York driver’s license. However, you may be required to take the written and road tests.

Q: Can I transfer my motorcycle license from out-of-state?
A: Yes, the process to transfer an out-of-state motorcycle license is similar to transferring a regular driver’s license. However, additional requirements may apply, such as completing a motorcycle safety course.

Q: Can I transfer my commercial driver’s license (CDL) from out-of-state?
A: Yes, you can transfer your CDL from out-of-state. However, additional requirements and endorsements may be necessary, depending on the type of CDL you hold.

In conclusion, obtaining a New York driver’s license from out-of-state requires gathering the required documents, making an appointment, visiting the DMV, completing the paperwork, paying the fees, and taking the necessary tests. By following these steps and being prepared, you can smoothly transition your out-of-state license to a New York driver’s license.